Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I'm back - with a purpose

I've been away for awhile - not away from the computer (still reading Dagromm and pals) but not posting. The reason? Lazy. Not really. I just can't handle the pressure to be funny and "worth reading" (I feel like Chris Farley with the hand quotes). So I've decided to change the direction of this blog, at least for now. I'm going to try and chronicle our travails as we emmigrate to Canada.

Here's how things stand as of right now: I have received the formal job offer and I have formally accepted it. The prospective EMPLOYER now has to go to the Canadian GOVERNMENT and get approval to hire me. That is, show that they've advertised for the job for X amount of time and could not find any qualified Canadians to fill the position and now they've found some gullible American who doesn't know any better and was lured by the promise of BIG MONEY and has crazily agreed to come up and take it. So the GOVERNMENT then issues me a work permit.

Meanwhile, I have to pursue having my license transferred to Nova Scotia. The NOVA SCOTIA BOARD that approves this has asked for a form and BIG MONEY and they will review my application on the 23rd of March. I also have to pay MONEY for a background check and send it to them. Oh yeah, and I have to pay the ILLINOIS BOARD some MONEY so that they will fill out a form and send it to the NOVA SCOTIA BOARD. What happens to my application if the ILLINOIS BOARD doesn't get my stuff to the NOVA SCOTIA BOARD in time? I DON"T KNOW.

We have encountered the first hitch: the GOVERNMENT wants some assurance that my license will be approved for transfer. So the EMPLOYER now has to get the NOVA SCOTIA BOARD to put it in writing that they expect me to be OK. Will they do this for me? I DON"T KNOW. So, I haven't given a formal end-date at work yet. They know I'm leaving and they're throwing me a party but I may extend my time here in order to minime the time without a PAYCHECK. Won't it be funny if the whole thing falls through and I don't actually leave? Heh ... not really.

We went to the post office on Saturday to get the kids their passports. They were a bit wound up, which was understandable. And E wanted to sign something. She was put out that R got to sign (since she's over 14) but that her signature was not required. So the nice postman guy gave her an extra form. She filled in her name in every field. Cute. We paid the BIG MONEY that our GOVERNMENT requires and took the oath or whatever.

After that, we all went to the superstore to have our Olan Mills family portrait taken so my mom can stop nagging me about how she doesn't have any family photos. The pictures were actually pretty good and we ordered a bunch. They'll come in about two weeks. Then my mom can start nagging me about how I never mail anything in a timely fashion.

I plan to keep this updated as things unfold. That way y'all can read this if you're interested and I won't have to explain the same thing on the phone over and over. Not that I don't love you all, but I will have less and less time in the next few weeks for phone talking. Also, our Cingular (the new AT&T) service charges BIG MONEY (59 cents a minute) once I cross the border.

9 comments:

DixieDallas said...

Found ya! Thanks for the tip.
And, I like your purpose.

Chillax said...

I don't blame you for not writing more. That Dagromm is a hard act to follow.

Chillax said...

Oh, and I think that rather than using your kid's initials that you should use the utilitarian names that you wanted to name them in the first place before you were bullied by your domineering husband, Otto, into giving them "normal" names.

Dagromm said...

Thanks for the blog pub! I'm not sure that my writing qualifies as all that brilliant, but I appreciate the interest.
This is a great way to keep us informed. I actually wonder what's going on a lot, but hate to ask you to explain what I'm sure you've explained a number of times already.
It sucks that you have to pay so much extraneous moving costs. I hope the relo covers everything.

plug said...

chillax - good idea. I'm gonna call them (in order)
Bucket
Rake
Easel, and
Sandbox.

Geez, I hope I can remember their aliases. Domineering husband doesn't like the name Otto. (I suggested the Masturbating Bear but he put the kibosh on that one too). How 'bout Moriarty?

plug said...

Dagromm -

Spending money sucks. On the other hand, the EMPLOYER will reimburse up to 20k so that sounds to me like a sweet deal. Not that I have 20k to spend in the first place but it sounds good. They are also paying for four family members to fly up there. Also sweet.

Chillax said...

Maybe you could use Ditka for the DH if he doesn't like Otto. I just threw that out there because I heard you call him that once. Or you could just use DH or some other mysterious acronym. That's what I plan to do if I ever write any entries on my blog. It'll be all QOMH and PLP.

plug said...

Last night when he saw your refernce to him as Otto he chuckled and took a long, dramatic sniff of his armpits. That's probably why I called him that in the first place.

Q said...

Dagromm rest assured your writing does not qualify as brilliant.