Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Case of the Mondays

This has been a weird day. The kids returned to school after spring break none too happy. I remember being excited about the countdown to summer, but they're in a funk. One of Easel's friends lost her father over the break. The family had gone to Florida and her dad and brother went into the water to help some people in distress. Everyone made it back OK except the dad.

Also, a triple homicide in the town in which I work took the life of a former co-worker's 18 yr old daughter. I didn't much care for the former co-worker and, by all accounts, the daughter's tragic end was not much of a surprise given her history, but still. A sad day.

Now that I've brought y'all down... the Canada update. I got my report back from CPS stating "No Priors." Why do they go to the trouble of having you print a label telling them where you want it sent (the Nova Scotia Board) if they have no intention of sending it? I'll send it myself tomorrow I guess.

... so I am looking for a place to stay for two months or so in Nova Scotia until the rest of the family joins me. I emailed a couple of folks I saw in the classifieds and one looks kinda promising. I would be sharing a two bedroom apartment with a guy I don't know - is that weird? My friends up there are doing a drive-by tomorrow just to see from the outside if I should even keep emailing. If it doesn't look too bad I'll call him and get more info.

It's awkward since I need to size this guy up without benefit of my phrenology tools, namely being able to analyze the bumps on his skull. I suppose I'll have to ask questions. Like if he has pets, if he's a smoker, what kind of hours he keeps, what he does for a living. I could ask him one of those random questions the blogger asks you in your profile. What do you, my blogging community, suggest I ask?

9 comments:

plug said...

Just to clarify - the dad in Florida drowned, he wasn't lost at sea.

Goo said...

This is a short term arrangement, but even so, ask about household habits - especially if you're sharing a bathroom. How comfortable are you sharing a total stranger's bacteria?

plug said...

Eww.

Dagromm said...

How do you ask about bathroom habits? Is anyone going to say they're nasty?

I'd ask how old the dude is and how long he's lived in the area. I'd probably also ask if he's gay. I'm not sure what that would tell me, but I think I'd want to know about it sooner rather than later.

Goo said...

Re: nasty - people don't tell you they're nasty. They do however tell you if they are clean freaks and this is a good measure of how nasty you are in comparison. If they go through $100 worth of bleach in a month, you know their nastiness isn't really the issue.

Re: gay - it tells you whether he might bring home men or women. It does not, however, tell you whether DOES bring home men or women.

Also, ask about television viewing/DVD watching/CD playing/video game habits. Given the number of kids in your household you may have a high tolerance for this. However, I can't begin to count the number of times I've come home to find my roommate on the sofa with all the lights off quickly turning off the DVD player - which, personally, I find amusing rather than offensive.

Palindrome said...

Ask him what he would do if he was trapped in a well with a goat and a slinky. It may seem silly but it may tell you a lot about him. Does he have a sence of humor? What's his thought process? Will he take it seriously or not? How creative is his thinking? From just that question you can break it down and form an image of what that guy is like, and it will answer the neatness question. A guy with a low tolerance for random seemingly pointless questions is probably a neat freak in the rest of his life too.

Chillax said...

Ask him if he thinks Starbuck is a Cylon.

Goo said...

Oh, and don't forget to ask him how he feels about puns, knock-knock jokes, and culturally insensitive comic accents. These are the threads which weave the fabric of civilization.

polio said...

you could just tell him you fart a lot. that gives him a window to share a worse habit (which presumably is his WORST, since no one person can have more than one habit worse than chronic flatulence). plus then HE can be relived when he finds out you don't fart more than any other average person.

it's win-win really.