Saturday, March 24, 2007

Canada (and other stuff) on my mind

First let me say that the party last night was fun. Exactly the kind of shindig I was hoping for. Shame on the few of you that didn't make it. You have till Monday morning to come up with a good excuse.

I have noticed that on many mornings, as I go through my morning routine (not a beauty regimen like I'm supposed to according to the magazines and Tyra, but the stuff I have to do to get out of the house in time to be at work before noon), that many of my actions are followed by thoughts like this:

wake up - it doesn't seem like 7:30. Is it this dark in Nova Scotia? Right now it's already 9:30 there.

clomp to the bathroom - we'd better find a house with decent water pressure. I hate those damn low-flo toilets and not being able to get the shampoo out of my hair.

in the shower - maybe I'll find some unknown Canadian shampoo that'll make my hair behave. I need to find someone who can color my hair. What about when I decide to let it all go gray? Or rather, colour my hair and grey.

towelling off - where are all the good towels? Probably in polio's room. We'd better find them before we move. Way before we move actually since we have to list everything we're bringing.

getting dressed - when I move, it'll be like havinga whole new wardrobe because no one there will know my clothes. Right, and we'll find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

driving to work - man, I'm gonna have to get used to seeing speed limit signs in kilometers and looking at the kph part of my speedometer instead of mph. And Celsius. But that's easier. I had a cool stats professor in grad school who made us remember a rubric for changing Farenheit to Celsius - double it and add 30. If it's 6 degrees in Canada, it's 42 degrees here. He was a great teacher. Wonder what he's doing now? I saw him at the grocery store not long ago.

asshole passes me going way too fast and getting too close to my car - I hope the drivers are more polite in Canada. They'd have to be wouldn't they? Remember, driving in DC? They honk at everything!!

listening to NPR - I've gotta figure out how to listen to NPR when I get there. I used to hear "As It Happens from CBC," but our local station dropped it. I will miss it. No I won't - I'll find it.

at work - hope I have a good parking place at my new job. Maybe I'll be able to walk, or take a bus. Or maybe I'll have a good parking place.

OK. I'm gonna stop for now. How bored are you?

7 comments:

Nate said...

don't ever let anyone tell you that grey hair isn't hotness

plug said...

As long as I don't develop some Cruella DeVille streak. Not hot.

Nate said...

Are you kidding me? The streak is total hotness. I've been trying to get my wife to quit coloring hers in for yours.

Nag said...

Sorry I missed the party, but I really did have to change the sheets. Favorite part of this post: clomp to the bathroom. That is so "all American!"
Nag

Dagromm said...

Why do you wash your hair in the toilet? Is that what they do in Canada?

Nate said...

They do, but the water swirls the other way

Goo said...

I think Dagromm has made my point for why you always ask a prospective roommate about their bathroom habits. Does he know you're planning to colour your hair in his lo-flo toilet?