Saturday, April 7, 2007

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

OK. I'm now in a place (mentally) where I can write about the Canada plan and how things are progressing. They are progressing slowly. And expensively.

Last Sunday we drove part of the way to Detroit. We stopped in Paw Paw , Michigan where we had a nice swim in the pool and a hot tub in our room. The kids liked it a lot, which is a good thing. The next morning we got up early and continued onward to the Canadian consulate in Detroit. I had been in touch with the immigration attorney in Nova Scotia (paid by the new employer, not me) and scoured the applicable website. I thought I had all my ducks in a row. I thought that the process would take two weeks or so if you mail the stuff in, but had been told that you can get your work permit that day if you walk it in. This was our mindset when we arrived.

1. Attorney guy had told me that there are forms to be filled out, but only if you're mailing in your application, not if you go in person. Wrong. We had to fill out work permit apps for me and the DH, and study permit apps for each of the kids.

2. I knew there would be fees for me and the DH. No one had said there would be fees for the kids too. We had brought extra cash "just in case." But when we heard the total ($575!!) we had a moment of panic. We scrounged in our respective wallets and came up with just enough. Well, that is, after the DH ran down to the bank to change some Canadian money I had been carrying around since November. They needed it to be paid all in one currency and in cash. As it was, the nice man there kept the office open an extra 15 mintues so we could do the money thing.

3. So, now it's 11:20 am (they officially close at 11) and we 're waiting, we're waiting, and we're waiting. At about noon, they tell us that "these things take a while and would we come back at 1:30?" No problem. That'll give us time to figure out how to get some money so we can get out of the parking garage and maybe even buy some some gas to get home.

4. 1:30pm. We're waiting. About 1:45, she calls me up and gives me a couple of forms. First, I need to send in proof of five years experience in my current job/profession. Now, I can get this easily. I could have brought this with me IF I HAD KNOWN ABOUT IT. That was not on the website. Anywhere.

5. I had specifically asked the attorney if I would need to have the medical exam because, although I won't be in the hospital, I am employed by the hospital and, on paper at least, it looks like a job that could affect the public health. He assured me that I would not unless we were applying for permanent residency status. Different thing. Guess what! I have to have the medical exam. There are only two doctors in my state (and the one to the east) that do these official exams. And they ain't cheap.

So, we return home, despondent and depressed because we thought we'd be leaving there with permits in hand. Instead, we had had to call a friend to wire us money (which fortunately we had, just not on us), we were hungry, and disappointed. I felt like the Wizard had told me to he'd grant my request, but only after I bring him the broomstick of the ... you get it.

So, yesterday Polio accompanied me to the big city to have the medical exam. I had to give bodily fluids and have a chest X-ray. They were all very nice though the trip took the whole day and the exam cost $250. The doc was impressed that I brought him a copy of my whole medical record, but I'm trying hard to be prepared. What's another twenty bucks? The nurse there was convinced that each family member has to have the exam - better not. I think that's only if you're looking for permant residency, but who the hell knows at this point. I've got my letter from my current boss.

Now we're waiting. I am grateful that we had excellent weather for all these excursions. We are so fortunate to have great friends like the one that sent money. I know I'm lucky that my current place of employment is not kicking me out. But I hate everybody asking me "when are you leaving? when's your last day?" I DON"T KNOW!!

Anyway, Happy Easter everybody. I'm not as bummed as I was on Tuesday and I finally got a good night's sleep. I hope to be blogging regularly again.

4 comments:

Nag said...

Proud of you for getting this blog out of your system!

Remember you were born on Saturday; that explains a lot right there. (So was your sister, and so was I for that matter. How depressing is that?)

Have you asked about the breathing fee yet?

Guess Canada is hoping for one of those "give me your poor, your weary" statues too.

plug said...

Hey, I wasn't poor or weary till I got into this process. Well, not THAT poor ...

I'm afraid to ask about the breathing tax. There amy be a tax on questions too.

polio said...

yes, and then the US gov't will tax you for the answers

Nate said...

dang! Things sure have changed since I snuck across the border on a rowboat to dodge the draft.