Friday, May 25, 2007

Watch out! It's my last day at work

I just got back from my going away lunch at the Moon Glo. Good times. After eating most of a burger literally the size of my face (with onions) and deep fried cauliflower, I decided I needed a breath freshener. As I turned the corner on my way to the overpriced snack machine to purchase on overpriced Starburst, I banged my wrist on the water fountain. "Ow!" I exclaimed, more as a reflex than a reaction to pain (because it didn't even hurt). I had hit my watch actually and felt the crystal to see if I'd cracked it again (I don't how it happened the first time). Lo and behold, the whole crystal was punched out of it. Shattered. Smithereens. One little piece was hanging on by the 12, but I took it out so I wouldn't cut myself.


Well, crap. I love this watch. It's a Fossil watch that I bought a few years ago for $5 at a garage sale. It looks kinda like this.

Boo hoo.

What a finale. I feel so weird. I've been saying goodbye and giving out hugs but haven't even shed a tear. Not like me - I'm a cryer. It just doesn't feel real to me. I feel like I'm wrapping up loose ends before taking a long weekend. I hope my co-workers don't think I'm cold-hearted. I guess I'm just taking my grief out on my accessories. Next I'll lose an earring or swallow a gold tooth or something.

Farewell my diligent, courageous, mighty, goodhearted, awesome co-workers. Goodbye to the ones I don't like that much. Adios to the folks whose names I never knew and whose jobs I never understood. Godspeed whatsyourname.

6 comments:

Dagromm said...

Safe travel. Hopefully, I'll get to come visit before to long.

LIT said...

Sorry I didn't send my old Timex . . .

It takes a lickin'
And keeps on tickin'

Glad you didn't have a soggy day.

Palindrome said...

Good luck on your journey. I'll miss you. You were by far my favorite girlfriends-mother. If that means anything.

polio said...

well mom, i have to say that i'm proud that through all the foreign immigration drama you know where the real problems lie - wristwear.

no really, that's just some pithy comment to hide the fact that i really am happy for you, but really am sad that i won't see you 'til Dec.

love you

wwinthenews said...

Hi!!Talked to your DH yesterday and told him we have been thinking pretty seriously about coming up there to visit you in late July early August. When I talked to him, he said you had just called and gotten "off the boat," which kinda cracked me up for some reason. I've been following your blog so I had an idea of what kind of progress you've been making/headaches you've been having. Hope your first day at work goes well.

plug said...

Dagromm - I hope you al do come and visit. We would seriously love it.

Lit - AS you may have read by now, the soggy happened later.

Palindrome - Thanks for the beautiful scarf. I'm wearing it tomorrow. Hope you can drop by.

Polio - you're gonna make me cry again. I love you too. And I'm proud of you as well.

wwinthenews - I'm glad you're here on the blog. I read yours too. Please come and visit. That would be a blast.