Thursday, May 17, 2007

I'm hungry

I got tagged by my brother. I actually like this kind of thing. I would like to tag some of my friends that lurk on this blog. This is probably why they've never shown themselves, to avoid getting roped into a meme. Ah well, ... I'm gonna do what Dagromm did and tag a relative, a friend, and some random people I find on here.

The meme:
1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the city/state and country you’re in.

Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
Todd (Louisville, Kentucky, United States)
miss kendra (los angeles, california, u.s.a)
Jiggs Casey (Berkeley, CA, USA! USA! USA!)
Tits McGee (New England, USA)
Kat (Ontario, Canada)
Cheezy (London, England)
Paula (Orange County, California, U.S.)
Jeff (Colorado, USA)
Fringes (around Houston, US)
Tera (Somewhere In KY by way of OH, USA)
Dagromm (Dallas, TX, USA)
plug (Champaign - Urbana, IL, USA)

2. List your top five local eating places.

Thai at the Y (on the U of I campus in Champaign) - Located on the ground floor of the YMCA on the University of Illinois campus, this is great place to take a visitor, eat with an advisor, or meet up for a study lunch. They ususally have only about six entrees on the menu and it doesn't change much; all served on paper plates with plastic-ware. I love the spicy pad thai and the curry is very popular. They're open from 11-3 on weekdays only when classes are in session. If it's hot outside, it's hotter in there because the Y is not air-conditioned so you might want to get it to go.

Dos Reales (one in Champaign, one in Urbana) - We suffered a serious lack of decent Mexican food when I fisrt moved here. Then I think the migrant worker population hit critical mass and somebody opened the first location; the second one followed a few years later. This is our favorite after-church spot. Great prices, fast service, cute waiters (who smell great), and good food. The Gualajara Special, at $7.95, will feed you for a couple of days. And there's a mariachi band on Mother's Day.

Bombay (on Green Street in Champaign) - This place is small and the tables are packed in pretty tightly, but the guys are nice and the food is good. We love the chicken tikka masala, vegetable biryani, and palak aloo. It's not as cheap as some Indian resaurants I've been to in other states, but it's reasonable and there's little competition here. The other place is slow and expensive.

Hickory River (Urbana) - Owned and run by transplanted Texans, this is the only place we've found where we can get sliced brisket and ranch style beans. The cornbread is rather dense and the cole slaw is the vinegary kind (which I like but some don't). They'll ask you if you want hot, mild, or both (barbecue sauce). If you say both, they'll mix them, so if you want the hot stuff - and why wouldn't you? - get the hot. It's only hot by midwestern standards, you're safe.

Bread Company (Urbana) - I think they have fancier stuff now than they used to, but I like to remember the old days when this was just a bakery/sandwich place. Located around the corner from the U of I music building, across the street from the Krannert Center, and down the street from Smith Recital Hall, this is a good place to go after a concert or play. My favorite: tuna fish on marble rye and whatever soup they've got. Follow this with sables (mexican shortbread cookies, half chocolate, half white) and a coffee. Yum ...


3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.

goo
dog
sarah
russell
sara emelie victoria

Maybe this meme will come back around to me in a year or so and I can review some spots in Nova Scotia.

3 comments:

Train Man said...

Hi there,

Thanx for the tag :) but don't know what this tagging thing is all about. very clueless :)

LIT said...

Houston, . . .
Excuse me, Plug, I think we have a problem.

plug said...

what's the problem?