Friday, November 2, 2007

monkeys, singing, and Noel

Just a brief post to let you know I'm still here. I've changed my screensaver to the cutest sock monkeys. I'm kind of really into sock monkeys right now - don't be surprised if you get one for Christmas. I'm just saying..




I'm feeling that crafty urge I get once in a while. I suppose I should sew buttons on the DH's pants and other needlework chores I've neglected before I start some footwear/primate project.



Last weekend we had our master class with the Anonymous Four. We sang Byrd's Ave Verum, one of my favorite anthems in Latin - completely in my range- and it went very well. They commented on how nice it was to see young people singing this music (meaning, of course, Sandbox and Easel) and the twins got applauded. We did a good job, if I do say so myself, and I do. The A4 sang later that day and if you're interested, here's what they were up to http://thechronicleherald.ca/Entertainment/974646.html
I learned today that we will get our first taste of coastal living this weekend as we "welcome" Tropical Storm Noel. Here's what they're saying right now:
So that'll be interesting. Of course, we moved here from "tornado alley" so it will actually be interesting to see how these phenomena differ. We don't live right on the water or anything, and the last forecast I saw said the worst hit will be the western shore, so I'm not worried about massive waves. But I've been told to prepare for power outages. So I guess I'll go fill some water jugs, unpack the candles, and buy some cold cuts.
Enjoy your weekend!











8 comments:

jaz said...

If you are planning on buying something that needs to be refrigerated and think the power might go out, might I suggest picking up some ice for the cooler?

Those were the cutest sock monkeys I have ever seen. As Chill has been showing my funky comics featuring a sock monkey, I considered making him one out of a sock he discarded the other day, but common sense prevailed and I allowed it to continue its journey to the dump. I am sure he appreciates that.

plug said...

If I make some, I will use clean, new, never-worn socks.

LIT said...

I am familiar with those vague, transient crafting, creative urges. Recent activity seems to have "cured" me for a while. Giving in to these urges tends to lead to a closet full of projects in various degrees of completion. When Clean Out The Closet Day finally comes, a day when there is absolutely nothing else to and the weather won't cooperate to provide an escape, you will find items you have to search your memory for why you ever began it in the first place. BTW these wonderful projects usually do not sell in yard sales.

Recently I found a darling little table cloth I started for a card table which only lacked the wide black ric-rac trim I had been carefully sewing on it along one side when I ran out twenty-five or thirty years ago. Off to Hancock's, table cloth in hand, I went to buy one pkg. of ric-rac, and I did. The bag holding both cloth and trim is now sitting on the clothes dryer. What event was coming up that I needed a card table cloth for in the first place? Why do I need one now? When will I put the bag back in the closet?

Oh, yes, if a sock monkey comes to my house it will be with the understanding it is a cat toy.

Rake said...

Haha. I still haven't fulfilled my creative crafty urge of me and Sandbox making our HP wands. But they will be done soon. And they are gonna look awesome!!!

I do like those sock monkeys but I've seen cooler. ;)

Sadly, where I was, the power didn't go out. I love the mood and quietness of power outages...but what are you gonna do. Atleast we didn't also get hit with a bunch of water. Cept some trees did topple over in our backyard. Hmm.

Anonymous said...

Little Miss and Little Mister would probably love sock monkeys, though the cat toy warning probably applies here, too. That's right, we have overcome our grief at the loss of Trudy a few months ago and went to the Humane Society this weekend. We'd gone before but just hadn't been ready, yet. We were looking for a pair, since the whole family is gone all day through the week, and that helps narrow the selection so that it's not so overwhelming.

We played with one 8-month old pair for a while, but they were rambunctious, and the more reved up they got, the more wild Little Mister got, and the more frightened Little Miss got, so we decided kittens were definitely not the way to go.

Instead we found a grey father-son pair who are 4 and 3 years old. Charlie, the father, is very thin because of stress. He seems extremely happy at home today, but we haven't seen him eat, yet. Charlie is extremely friendly, but Twin, the son, is a little skittish, still. They were both great with the kids in the get acquainted room at the shelter. They were both very calm and stood their ground, even when Little Mister was loud and active. We feel like they are a very good match for our family, and we got an older pair who typically have more trouble getting adopted.

So I guess sock monkeys were just my excuse to tell you about the new members of our family.

jaz said...

Pip--glad to hear you found some kitties. I think I found an extra cat here the other day. When I vacuumed I would swear there was at least one entire cat stuck in the wand of the powerhead. It took a pair of cooking chop sticks to get it all dislodged. (And no, I don't plan to use them for cooking, so it is safe to eat here).

I am sure they would love their very own sock monkeys.

Rake--if you need a good power outage, can you just remove a fuse temporarily?

plug said...

Maybe I'll just make cat toys, since they can be smaller and any shape.

Lit - I have no doubt that I inherited that transient crafting urge from you. I also have no doubt that one day, after you've gone to your reward & we're sorrowfully going through your closets, I will find that bag with the card table cloth and black ric-rac and remember this blog. Good times.

Rake - yes, you need to make those wands before you outgrow the HP magic phase.

Pip - I didn't know you guys got new cats! Good for you for picking older ones. I hope they settle in smoothly.

Jaz - which is it you're not using for cooking - the chopsticks or the cat?

Goo said...

Kitty Chop Suey, yum!