Friday, October 19, 2007

October

This is my screen saver at work for this month. I think my favorite is the Krispy Kreme guy on the left - something about his little shoulders cracks me up. We haven't decided on costumes this year yet. It seems that Halloween is not such a big deal here. I mean, they start putting out big bags of candy in September, just like in America. But WalMart is not all 'weened up like we're used to by any means. Also, when my teenager asked her friends what they do for Halloween and if any of them go trick-or-treating, they asked he if she was "like, two?" Guess not.

On the other hand, there is a Haunted Hollow place near us where you go run around the grounds and get chased by scary people. (No thanks.) And on my way to choir practice last night, I saw a sign out in front of a store advertising "Chain Saw Sale." So now I'm thinking maybe they do take Halloween seriously here, just not in the same way.

Some sad news. My goldfish Speedy died about two weeks ago.
He was a fiesty little guy who lived in my office/home for almost
four years. He made the move to Canada in good shape but
finally went to that aquarium in the sky. R.I.P. my fishy friend.

In proof-reading the above, WalMart cought my attention. Hate on the 'Mart all you want, but they sold me Speedy for 12 cents. And you know what else? They'll take US currency here. That comes in handy when you're digging in your couch for caffeine money and all you can come up with is American coins. Go figure.
We're going to an orchard this weekend. We always like the Curtis Orchard back home at this time of year. We'll see what the Scotian orchards have to offer. If there's time, I'd like to stop in one of the Francofone communities along the way. Maybe Sandbox can put on his puppet show.

15 comments:

Goo said...

My deepest sympathies at the death of your belove Speedy. Shall we sing one last stanza of "Eternal father strong to save" in his memory? Sorry, I've been juggling funeral planning all week, including one former holder of the executive office who's been updating his file - stupid, senseless, nit-picky changes.

LIT said...

I just checked out some of those Project Runway Canada designs from your previous post, and I think they take Halloween more seriously than you implied. Was there assignment to make garments from umbrellas, and is brown the color de jour? Most of those appeared "unwearable", or at least uncomfortable. I liked the grey plaid best, but what do I know?

plug said...

Goo - Last night Sandbox said he wants Byrd's "Ave Verum" at his funeral. We don't ahve files anywhere though.

Lit - Yes, they had to pick from a bunch of broken umbrellas and they were told to only take what they need. To make a cocktail dress.(Of course this means they're gonna be told to use everything they take - duh. But some of them have apparently never watched the show and took 15.) There was hardly any brown (lots of black though) so maybe that's the website. I'm not sure which one you mean - the winner? That was cool. Maybe you're thinking of the first one up in the photo gallery - that was black and a red tartan. It looks worse in the picture thatn on TV though how it qualifies as a cocktail dress is beyond me. I liked the basic black ones.

LIT said...

The one I liked was Kendra's dress with the interesting back. The first dress up looks like a California school dress to me. Yes, the web site is playing tricks with the colors. Have a good weekend.

Goo said...

Byrd's "Ave Verum" is a good choice. That Sandbox is a class act.

I'd like to amass a great enough fortune before I die (or great enough distinction) to merit a Requiem commissioned for the occasion. Something fabulous...

polio said...

Good Funeral Songs:
The aformentioned
Te Lucis - Balfour-Gardiner
Like as the Hart- Howells
Pavane for a Dead Princess- Ravel

Bad Funeral Songs
March to the Scaffold- Berlioz
Danse Macabre- Saint-Saens

jaz said...

Polio, may I add the following to your list of bad funeral songs:

What a Friend We Have in Jesus--the syncopated version

The Barney Theme Song

I Come in the Garden Alone

Dagromm said...

Sorry to hear about the fish. We haven't been able to kill our last one, although we've just about ignored it for the last 2-3 months. It's an algae eater and apparently doesn't require a lot of attention.

Dagromm said...

Oh and I love the screen saver.

Dagromm said...

I would also like to add the following selection to the funeral discussion
Thanks for the Memories by Fallout Boy

plug said...

Jaz - We sang a very interesting version of "what a friend we have in Jesus" today at church. The tune was something called "scarlet ribbons" - very anglican. A strange juxtaposition but it actually worked.

LIT said...

Is the tune "scarlet ribbons" anything to do with a, dare I say folksong, about a trip to a fair and has a line about "scarlet ribbons for her hair"?

Goo said...

"In the garden" has to be a Bihop choice. I know it's one of the top ten most avoided songs by the music master.

jaz said...

There are always those fine protestant blood songs!

Is In the Garden in the current hymnal?

Goo said...

Jaz - "In the garden" is NOT in The Hymnal 1982, it is however in Lift Every Voice and Sing II, one of our supplements