Wednesday, October 3, 2007

OOPS I did it again

I was going to post a blog yesterday wishing my mom a Happy 70th Birthday. Then I started second guessing myself:

what if it's not her 70th birthday? What if she's only 69? Then I've offended her and embarassed myself in public on the blogosphere! That would be bad. So, maybe there's a way to find out. But then I have to admit to my siblings (cause that's the only way I could think of to double check) that I don't know for sure. Or that I do know, but I'm too neurotic to trust myself. What to do?

So I waited. Got busy at work. Told myself I'd figure it out when I got home. Only I got home and got caught up in family stuff - driving hither and yon, the never-ending debate about WHAT'S FOR DINNER, and that jazz. Didn't think to call until about midnight (her time).

Here's the thing - I've done this before. I remember a week ahead. I remember a few days ahead. I remember the day before and consider calling then but I don't want to admit that I'm calling ahead because I might forget tomorrow. That's dumb. But here I am looking dumb anyway, so ...





Happy 70th Birthday Mom!!!
Gëzuar Ditëlindjen
Честит рожден ден
Bon aniversari
Per molts anys
生日快樂
Všechno nejlepší k narozeninám!
Gelukkige verjaardag
Χρόνια πολλά
¡feliz cumpleaños! สุขสันต์วันเกิด and Usuku lokuzalwa olumnandi


I love you! You have been (and continue to be) a great role model for me. Hope you are having a raucous party to celebrate this momentous occasion! (and if I'm wrong about your age - or you're sensitive about it - then I hope the partying has out you in a forgiving mood).

Your birthday wishes for my mom in comments ...

8 comments:

jaz said...

Don't feel too isolated--chill and I had the gift all wrapped up before the big day, and it is still sitting on the desk next to the computer. We just live a few blocks away.

And we would like to tack our happy birthday wishes onto your blog!

Goo said...

Here's my formula for remembering her age. The year Polio celebrated his first birthday, the invitation read Plug x 2 + Polio = (insert her name here). So, if you can remember your age at Polio's birth and his current age, you'll always know her age.

I got in a preemptive birthday greeting on Monday.

plug said...

Jaz - been there, done that.

Goo - I don't think that works.

LIT said...

Polio's age + 50 = moi.

How hard can that be?

I rushed over & picked up the gift, and it was well worth the rush. Now I can put together an ensemble for the Dec. wedding. Whoopee!

I'm so glad I can't bite into that confection in the picture. It couldn't possibly taste as good as I imagine it.

plug said...

Polio's age right now or tomorrow?
And what was the gift?

LIT said...

Oi vey!!!
Three days before Polio was born I turned 50; therefore I am 50 yrs. older than he. GOT IT? Those 3 days are negligible.

The gift was what I'm calling my "New Orleans purse," and I shall be wearing black. So all the rest of you choose another color. This won't be a sad black at all; it's going to be a WOW black. We septuagenarians can pull that off.

I'll have to blog about the purse because it is a great story. Besides I need a bridge back into that scene.

Dagromm said...

Uhmmmm.....happy birthday?

polio said...

Haha I was trying to figure out Goo's quadratic equation over there, and I got stuck when I couldn't remember Plug's age. Wow that's less funny than I thought.

Ok actually I'm just a clod for not remembering my mom's age. Well hey mom, at least we're in the same boat!