Monday, November 12, 2007

weather and taxes? God, I'm getting old ...

Well, we supposedly had "hurricane force winds" last weekend, but we slept through most of it and never lost power or anything so it was less than dramatic. Sandbox kept asking when the rain was gonna start and complaining that "this isn't a hurricane, this is crap!" We did have a couple of trees go down out back, ones that were already lame from previous storms I guess.

This weekend we had snow, lots of snow. It started Saturday afternoon and seemed to go on for about 24 hours! That's probably a slight exaggeration, but it was a long time. Sandbox and I went out in it Saturday night to shovel the driveway. He worked very hard and were out there for at least on hour. In the end, we were proud of what we accomplished.



However, it was snow-covered again by morning.




Today, we all had the day off in honor of Remembrance Day which was officially yesterday. I guess it's a combination of Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. Sandbox got to sing in a couple of Remembrance Day ceremonies during the week and met the Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia. Her outfit with the tartan flair kicked ass. (no good picture available)



I have not given much thought to a Christmas list as have other family members. I guess I think others are more organized than I and have done their shopping already. Also, I usually can only think of stores (as opposed to items) because they are the ones I don't have access to up here. But I may come up with a list and put it up.

The cold weekend convinced us that we could no longer put off buying winter coats for the twins.
We went to the big mall in Dartmouth today to look at coats. Old Navy was having a 40% off sale which is not too shabby, and we found one for Sandbox. he bears a striking resemblance to his older brother.
The store where we found Easel's coat was not having a sale per se, but any coats over $50 were tax-free. Considering the taxes here add about 15% to your purchase, that was also a good deal. I must say, she looks very grown up.
Mission accomplished, and now we're back home.

7 comments:

polio said...

NOT Funny

LIT said...

I can see the resemblance.

Polio, It all gets funnier the older you get.

Plug, I already know what you want---money or a jewelry box like Rake's. Don't hold your breath.

Love you all.

plug said...

Polio - lighten up. Neither of you looks like a pug, but he does look like you. Adorable.

Lit - I'm not.

Goo said...

What do you mean "pug"? I thought that was Krypto, oops! I mean Dagromm, in a sweater.

jaz said...

So, does the snow sculpture of Lady Liberty surrendering indicate the clan has accepted the move north?

(If this is a duplicate post, sorry. The screen showed an error when I tried to post the first time).

polio said...

it's ok, there are worse things to look like than a pug.

Rake said...

Hah, I'm sure Plug does want a jewelry box like mine!! Cuz it's so super tight. But I still can't fit all my jewelry into it! :)I do absolutely love it though, don't know if I ever told you!?