Monday, September 3, 2007

I'm Back!

Whew!!

So I haven't written anything in, like, two months I know. maybe no one is out there reading anymore. And I wouldn't blame you - I've been remiss...

In no real order, here's a quick rundown of the last two months:

- The family came and it was great. We ended up renting my boss' condo for three weeks while we waited for our house to be ready and then for our stuff to arrive. It was a beautiful luxury condo with a lake view from the 6th floor - awesome.

- I am loving my job. We've moved into new offices and, although I don't have a window (no one does) I do have new furniture and computer.

- We visited a couple of beaches, some too cold to swim in and one which was plenty warm but full of jellyfish. Sandbox got adept at flinging them and all the kids got stung. All the beaches were gorgeous though.

- We got into our house and we are still sorting out what the movers broke, scratched, and lost. Can't find the sub-woofer anywhere. Miraculously, they didn't scratch my bed so they get to live. For now.

- Our cat Sherlock became neurotic as he crossed the Canada-US border and is having a hard time adjusting to the new place. He is scratching up a chair or two with which he is not familiar (because they came from my office) and he wants to pee in the music room. The DH and I aren't having it so the cat is spending a lot of time outside. He sits outside whatever window is closest to us and whines constantly.

- The kids got registered for school which starts this coming Wednesday. We like the schools but they are smaller that the ones they were used to in the Midwest and that might be an adjustment. Rake is signed up for the IB prep courses - those that get them ready for the International Baccalaureate program. They also seem to have a decent drama program so she's looking forward to it.

- I'm so ready for the twins to find some friends - they're bored and need some peers!

- The DH is job hunting and trying to stave off the funk that comes with unsuccessful (thus far) job hunting. He's doing a good job.

That's the quick and dirty recap for now. So You Think You Can Dance is over so I'm sad. BUT we have satellite TV now - Sandbox and I are watching a Labour Day Remington Steele marathon. Yippee!

22 comments:

Goo said...

Why is it Pierce Brosnan and a three day weekend that makes for a perfect blend? Wait, I think I answered my own question.

Glad you're back!

plug said...

I made Rake watch a scene where he was crying over Laura Holt's body because he thought she was shot. She admitted, "OK I guess he's kind of hot." The Irish accent doesn't hurt. *sigh*

Rake said...

Ok good one. and I'm glad I had a whole paragraph to myself, but you said the twins need friends, well what about me. I need friends too... But anyway, LOVE.

plug said...

Do you just read my blog looking for mentions of yourself?

Chillax said...

I'm just glad that the cat wasn't peeing in the conservatory or the atrium. Are they located in the wing with the library? I am thankful that you didn't put Sherlock in the guest house.

Goo said...

I think it goes without typing (although I will, because I can't resist) that there's something freakishly "Clue" about a cat named Sherlock doing it in the Music Room. Was there a candlestick involved somehow?

jaz said...

Okay--I had to join in. Isn't that expected in this family? I kind of remember something about that in the wedding vows.

So--here goes: I have a dog leaving a deposit in the living room, gnawing my dress shoes in the bedroom, and eating the tub toys in the bathroom--when she's not tearing up papers in every room. And there is not a single Professor Plum or Mrs. White to clean up the mess!

Glad the family made it safely. I will try to phone soon--assuming I can find the address book in one of those myriad boxes full of broken mirrors that match yours!

Goo said...

Jaz, I think you're mistaken. It wasn't Professor Plum and Mrs. White cleaning up the mess. I believe that was left to Mr. Belvedere, Mr. French, and Mrs. Doubtfire.

jaz said...

Well, I prefer Mr. French. He made some mean lunches for Buffy and the gang--and the British accent doesn't hurt, either. Besides, he did a great job narrating Winnie the Pooh!

So, when Mr. French is done cleaning up the cat pee in the Music room, can you send him on down? By the way, does he use a candlestick or a wrench for that task?

plug said...

Actually, we are thinking af making the music room double as a conservatory as the formal dining room doesn't get as good sunlight.

The kids were just asking us the other day if we would rather have a butler or a cook. Cook won hands down of course. (cook or a pool? Cook. Pool or a library? Library, definitely. Cook or a library? Tough one.) That conversation made me think of Mr. French who did also cook. I never cared for Mr. Belvedere or Mrs. Doubtfire. Hazel, maybe, but that voice got on my nerves.

Now, if Pierce Brosnon could be my butler - that's my universe.

Jaz, been meaning to call and see how married life is working out. Welcome!

Goo said...

Frankly, I think Mr. French is the way to go domestic-help-wise, or maybe Nanny form Nanny & the Professor. What makes Mr. French so great - apart from the endearing accent and OCD attention to detail - is his ability to remain calm in a crisis and the fact he is not prone to "hi-jinx" of any sort.

Although, to give him his due, Tony Danza was a fair hand at keeping the house running and food on the table in "Who's the Boss?"

What happened to all the good comic servants?

Goo said...

Any chance we could get a relaunch of Family Affair with Pierce Brosnan as Mr. French? I know, I know, everyone will want to cast him as the swinging bachelor uncle...

Chillax said...

I think I would vote for Fran Fine or Kato. Although, I was partial to Alfred and Rochester, too. Wait a minute, I spoke too soon, I would go with Jeannie. Definitely.

Chillax said...

There actually was a relaunch of "Family Affair" a couple of years back. They cast Tim Curry as Mr. French.

jaz said...

So who was the old guy on My Three Sons? He seemed to keep all the boys in line, everyone's laundry done, and food on the table--plus a shine on the furniture! And he wouldn't be so attractive to Chill. I told him to forget the theme he had been discussing: Jeannie married the master, Fran married the master, Maria married the baron... He made the mistake of marrying before he got a live-in servant!

He just threw in Kato and Rochester to throw me off the track.

Goo said...

Jaz, you're thinking of Uncle Charlie, everyone's favorite bitter war vet. Yeah. We need another Uncle Charlie.

Chillax, I knew there was a failed relaunch. Is this gem just too subtle for the current market?

plug said...

I always had a soft spot for Rosie. The Jetsons' place was pretty spotless and she wouldn't hook up with the boss.

Chillax - I don't remember any show with Tim Curry - are you making that up?

Goo - Pierce as Mr. French? That's sounds x-rated and I am so there!

Jaz - Uncle Charlie? The grump who barked at people for being too happy? No thanks.

plug said...

Goo - why is your picture a big person statue when we all know you hate those things?

jaz said...

Plug--maybe if we have someone barking at us we will be inspired to improve our collective house-keeping skills? That could be how he did it. He didn't do the work himself--he just intimidated everyone else into doing it!

And there is always Alice, but she was too snoopy. Of course, she wasn't after the master--just the butcher.

As a newly-wed I'm not allowed to vote for Remington Steele, yet, am I?

Goo said...

Remington Steele, no. However, I've never met a man yet who'd object to a vote cast in favor of James Bond.

But you could end up with Ursula Andress as the maid.

Rake said...

No.

jaz said...

Rake, I promise to not lust after the hired help--just his ability to mop the floor and capture and confine cat hair!

And I welcome anyone who would have been available to clean up the mess that we found under the built-in dishwasher this morning when it was being replaced with a brand spanking new machine!! Guess where a probable myriad of creatures have gone to eat their pecans over the last 30 or so years. And one of those pecans must have been bad, based on the decimated, skeletal remains of one mousie.