Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So, I don't really have a topic so I thought "what if I found some random picture on the web and that could be my inspiration?" So I typed the word random into the Google box and this is the first thing I got:

This is a graph of successive powers of 3/2 in base 6. The leading digits in the fractional parts of these numbers form a sequence that seems random. The process of multiplication by 3/2 in base 6 corresponds to a k=6, r=1, cellular automaton rule.

This is from an article written by Stephen Wolfram, who own the company that produces Mathematica, among other things. They are based in my town. Isn't it funny that I try to get a picture "at random" and I end up within a few miles of my house? Like when Dorothy goes looking for her heart's desire and ends up finding it in her own backing yard.

Now the update - nothing much going in. Sandbox has the flu, the DH is recovering slowly but surely, I am swamped at work, the girls are doing the drama thing, the snow melts then more falls from the sky. I've read some good books lately. And I bought a pretty pink stapler.




8 comments:

jaz said...

Yeah--my daughter is into drama these days too...oh--you meant they are acting in a play. Sorry.

LIT said...

Love the stapler.

Can you keep the flu from spreading throughout your household? Lots of hand sanitizer about? Hope you can contain the bug and that Sandbox is well very, very soon. Glad to hear the DH is recouping.

Didn't understand a word of that explanation of the random graph, but it is a small world isn't it?

Goo said...

I'm with Jaz. Can we get some clarification on the "drama" teen girl drama or hey kid's let's put on a show drama?

Rake said...

THEATRE DRAMA!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy finds what she was looking for in her own "backing yard" eh???

plug said...

Rake - That kind of nitpicking leads to teen drama. But

Goo and Jaz - mostly I was referring to the stage kind.

LIT - I didn't claim to understand it.

hand what, sani who? I just tell 'em to cough in the other direction and I refuse to get sick.

plug said...

I forgot to say thank you for admiring my stapler. It is the really springy kind that I can pick up with one hand and staple up to 15 pages together super easily. Love.

LIT said...

Well, it's been two months now since you last posted or commented. What's going on there? Is the DH back on his feet and at full tilt? Everybody healthy? Work any less unpleasant? Is the state paying its employees? Just wondering . . . .

LIT said...

Maybe it's time to blog again. Just a thought.