Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas List part deaux

OK, my mom wanted to know when I became interested in power tools? Come on, who isn’t? But, here’s some explanation about that Christmas list.

Well, a level is a handy thing to have just to hang pictures or put up shelves and things like that. There are times when one wants to tighten the screws on furniture, etc and a power screwdriver is a good thing,





especially if your hand goes numb after
gripping a regular screwdriver for too long.







I actually didn't put circular saw or nail gun on my list this time, but those are cool too. Or even a hammer with a magnetic head. I’d also love to have a tool belt – the belt loops and nail apron don’t always hold the stuff you need.











I have always been interested in carpentry – I wanted to take wood shop in seventh grade but the folks at J. L. Long Middle School wouldn’t let me.



They put me in Home Ec – which one semester each of sewing and cooking. I did manage to get them to let me do drafting, which was awesome.

Anyway, I like the idea of carpentry (and the smells to be honest) but don't think I'd be all that good at it, since I'm not good at precision work. I mean, have you seen my sewing? There comes a point where I’m like, “who really needs interfacing?” or, “this would go much faster if I sew snaps instead of the decorative buttons” or, “I can save a trip to the store if I use this [crappier] thread instead of the one the pattern ‘suggested’.”

But, really, since ASP, I have wanted some power tools of my own. I liked working the skil saw, measuring and hammering stuff. Polio and I kicked some butt putting up crown molding in a bedroom and finishing up some drywall. We’re also quite adept at putting up vinyl siding. I’ve been a master at pulling up old carpet and scraping up old flooring for years now.

7 comments:

LIT said...

Obviously I'd forgotten your trips to Appalachia with the youth groups to work on homes. However, remember the house where we lived when you went to J.L. Long? Do you remember when I decided to widen the door between the kitchen and breakfast room (can't remember why I felt I needed to do that)? Anyway the walls were 8" thick with plaster lathe, and I think I was really supposed to get a permit because I was opening up in the direction of a light switch. (Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.) Luckily, it all turned out o.k.

Are you contemplating construction on that mansion you're renting?

plug said...

I don't remember that at all. No construction is contemplated for the house but the twins may need help building their fort/treehouse. Plus, like I said, I just want to be able to fix some things, hang pictures straight, etc.

jaz said...

Wow, and your mom really thought you wanted all those tools to come down here and help with her kitchen! You know, the Red River Valley project.

I've put my power tool to good use since moving down here. The electric drill comes in handy for lots of tasks. Forget the screwdriver. You need a Craftsman drill, so you can make the hole that you plan to screw into before you hang the mirror!

LIT said...

Jaz is correct. Just make sure to include a flat head and Phillips head in your bits. That drill will take care of screwing (too late for that advice, I guess). Forget I said that.

plug said...

Let's not discuss my bits on the blog. Thank you.

Rake said...

Wow way to spell deux wrong mom!! :)

LIT said...

Rake, kindly remember that older folk have a harder time learning a new language.