Saturday, June 9, 2007

My first Saturday in Halifax

I got up and Nancy had already gotten the paper out. I found a couple of houses to call about and she told me which ones are in the area we want. I left to go to the St. George's yard sale. That church apparently has a lot of folks from England and I heard several different accents there. There were also several kids in hand-knitted sweaters and other things that looked kind of 'English village' to me. Cute. I bought a couple of small plants and a clock-radio. I've been using my cell phone as an alarm but I can't read the time off it without my glasses.

I went to another sale down the street and the girls there kept talking to an older lady they called Miss Claire, only they both had thick Irish accents. I hung around longer than I needed just to hear them say things like"Miss Claire, 'dja see this one?" "What about this one Miss Claire?" Very charming.

I drove downtown but then got turned around because I was trying to avoid getting stopped on a steep hill. Driving a stick shift in the FLAT land of central Illinois is very different from driving one here. In my efforts to avoid the hills (right) I ended up at the foot of the Citadel. I pulled over to look at my map to find an easier route out of there and just about jumped out of my skin when the cannon blast sounded. Apparently they shoot off a cannon up there at noon. Nice. Good think I didn't have a full bladder.

I had lunch with friends then went to look at some more houses. I drove around to revisit the ones I saw yesterday, just to get a feel for where they are and the traveling times, etc. Relaxing at home tonight.

Here's something that will take getting used to: people here do not seem to value ice the same way I do. I suppose it could be a family thing but one of my best friends who also grew up in TX said something that makes me think it's more a southern thing. When he was visiting us in NY (he was living in Rhode Island at the time), he noticed the many ice cube trays and full ice container in our freezer and was delighted. He said none of his other friends much kept ice on hand like that and we commiserated on how much we hate to run out of ice. Horrors!

Anyway, I couldn't even get a cup of ice at the gas station. Huh?! Yes, I fill up on litres of gasoline - and they still have full service stations here.

That's it for today. Nothing too humorous to report. Just keepin' on.

7 comments:

LIT said...

So, are you moving a bunch of ice cube trays or do I need to pick up a few at estate sales for you?

You bought plants!!! You are my child. Are these for the office? Or are you doing herbs or something else for home?

Looks like everybody other than your younger brother is looking for a home. I suddenly flashed on "The Boll Weevil Song." Speaking of your younger brother, today is his anniversary.

You sound in good shape shy of the gun blast, but I guess one gets accustomed to that too. I'd write about my Saturday, but I'm too tired.
Love ya'

polio said...

my saturday consisted of sitting around doing nothing. so you win on that one.

were any of the irish-accented people by any chance 18-20 year old attractive young women? please say yes. please. *prays*

good call on the clock/radio. i use my phone as an alarm too, but it randomly dies now and again, so it's not the most reliable. get a new one. that's my advice.

Rake said...

Gun blast, that's funny.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Halifax garage sales sound like fun! So did you see anything in your house search that might work?

DixieDallas said...

Hope your workday went well. I'll bet there's a quaint pub to stop at on the way home maybe even one with Irish lasses so you can lure Polio up there.

Seems like your ideal home wil be located uphill in a straight line from the Canadian Institute of Phrenology so you can coast to work with no roundabouts or unnecessary gear shifting.

BTW, Is St. George as popular in Canada as he is in Greece?

plug said...

Lit - I have become very picky about my ice cube trays and am only bringing two. The rest were not worthy. If I don't ahve an ice maker, I will purchase new ones that are easy to empty.

The plants are for home. I could put them in the office but we'll be moving offices next month and I likely won't have a window. Bums.

Polio - as a matter of fact the Irish girls were in your age range. Have you applied for your passport yet?

Rake - Gun blasts are not funny. They are heart attack-making.

Pip - kinda fun. Most of the ones I saw were impromptu ones on the sidewalk. There are some in "the 'burbs" that might be larger and more organized. I have found several houses that are great. but none in Halifax proper. Looks like we'll be in a small town right up against Halifax. Plus, the junior highs here are dumps.

Dallas - Oh there are pubs. And breweries. I'm waitng for the DH to join me though. The problem with the coasting down a hill is that I'd have to drive back up. My navigations problems here (and there aren't many) seem to be because I'm avoiding the rotary and getting stopped on a steep hill. I just don't love the stick sift like I used to. I'm really leaning toward an automatic.

Dagromm said...

Dang, I had to read the last four or so posts and thought I'd never get through it all. It sounds like you're acclimating pretty well and crying less, which are both good things. Are you ready for visitors yet?