Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Day Two



THINGS TO DO TODAY

Call and get the application started for my MSI card. That's the national health insurance. Done.

Got to HRDC and get an SIN number, basically like a social security card. Done.

Buy socks. I only brought one pair, white athletic socks, and my feet are frickin' cold. Went to Payless and found two pair, $1 each. While there I bought a watch. I've been wearing the other one but don't trust the time on it, so ... this'll do for now.

Go to the hospital and meet with HR. Done. I found out that I've gotten a slight raise since I got my offer letter - yay! - and signed all the paperwork. My first payday is next Thursday and it covers four days of this week. But I won't get paid if I don't open a bank account so they can direct deposit my money. So guess what's next on my list?

Open a bank account. Done. It was so easy, I didn't even have to give them money. My first deposit can be my paycheck. So now I have a debit card and four temporary cheques. Cool.

Meet some people at work. That was good. I went for coffee with a couple of folks and we talked about neighborhoods, schools, offices, jewelry, etc.
I have widened my circle a bit. I skimmed past the rotary once but didn't get in to go back around and out the other side. I had decided that if I can drive in Chicago and Dallas I could tackle this dinky circle, but the line to get in (it was rush hour) was too long. So I drove the long way and have put together a little bit more of the Halifa map in my head.

I was home by 5:15 which is great. I need to organize my papers tonight
and take a bath. Hm.

5 comments:

LIT said...

So you have a new identity...

Could you actually walk to & from work or is it too far? It would certainly get your metabolism/internal heating system going.

Sounds like a good start---getting organized. And bathing too; I hear that's a good thing. Do you have kitchen privileges where you're staying, or get meals with your bed?

You're doing great so far---a raise in pay and no work. Who wouldn't want that job?

Rake said...

Ok, that sounds pretty cool.

(might want to check your spelling)

I LOVE YOU!!!

plug said...

Hey - I am busy! If i misspell a little here and there, can we ignore it? Othersie, I may have to start spell-checking your blog missy. :)

plug said...

Lit - yes, I ahve kitchen priveleges, and laundry priveleges, my own bathroom, and obviously computer privelges. I like my "landlord" a lot.

Rake said...

That's actually really tight, I was kind of imagining a Harry-Potter-cupboard thing going on...

*teehee*