Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Good Eatin'

I am trying to institute a quick weekly post.
Today the DH and I went to the Windy City for a training. Lunch was not provided so we had to find it on our own. So sad. I wanted to try the Mexican restaurant owned by the guy who won Top Chef Masters which I watched enviously over the last few weeks. Rick Bayless was my favorite the whole time and when he won I decided to try to go to one of his restaurants as soon as I had a chance. Today was the day and it was awesome! I had a chicken with his signature mole sauce. The DH had a shrimp dish with mangos, cilantro, and some other great stuff.

The lady at the next table ordered some habanero sauce and, despite the waiter's warning, blopped about a tablespoonful on her date's tortilla. I really thought he was going to hurl. He sat wordless for about fifteen minutes and drank two glasses of milk. The lady giggled and apologized but I would have decked her.

Anyway, good eatin'! Next time - dessert!

7 comments:

LIT said...

I almost fainted when I saw that you had posted. But if anything could inspire you it would be good Mexican food; and what a coincidence. I bought two containers of mole sauce at an estate sale today. Unfortunately, I don't think Rick Bayless even blessed them. Also purchased a can of RoTel with habaneros. I've always used the "original", so I feel cautioned on that score. POOR MAN! EVIL WOMAN!

I also made another terrific estate sale purchase, but that will inspire my next blog.

Weekly? . . . Hmmm.

Goo said...

Rick Bayless annoys the heck out of me on television, but i'm glad to hear his food is good.

Last night I made sweet potato hummus and burnt out my immersible blender/mini food processor. Actual sparks and BIG poppoing noise. That, too, was an estate sale find...hint, hint.

The hummus got rave reviews at work today, but now I ahve to figure out what I'm doing with the other sweet potato.

LIT said...

Goo, the processor is covered, but pretend you don't know. Only three mos. until Christmas.

Goo said...

Lit, my whole office just erupted of shouts of "YEAAAAAAAH!!!!!" when I read you comment aloud.

PS Note the typing error in my previous comment. This is where better proofing would have come in handy. :)

LIT said...

Goo, no need to tell me to note any errors because I can't help it; it is apparently part of my DNA. However, I wasn't going to address those errors. In Tazz's case I feel she's still in that part of her life where a little direction might help her.

Re processor: In our last conversation you mentioned a need, so the estate sale shopper kicked right in. This was ahead of your burnout.

About that sweet potato: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cut into medium size chunks; toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil in a Ziplock bag until well coated. Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray and arrange potato on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 min. or until golden brown. Salt to taste and garnish with parsley for color and flavor. (This is modified from a recipe calling for 4 sweet potatoes and 1/4 C. olive oil.)

I hope to meet my fan club there in D.C. one day, but it will certainly be scary. They may expect too much from me. I'm only occasionally scathingly brilliant.

Plug, if you ever review all this, please join in. It is your blog after all.

Goo said...

Lit, you left out the onion and garlic. They make the roasted sweet potato yummy. Parsley? Ehn.

So, Plug, what are you eating this week?

plug said...

Ok I'll weigh in - sweet potatoes yuk!

Haven't eaten anything interesting the past two weeks. We're too busy to cook much and we've been trading some crud. Not H1N1 thankfully. Though I did go see Julie & Julia. I highly recommend that. See next post.